I am extremely pleased to see that Governor Hogan did not forget his commitment to advancing technology in Southern Maryland. The budget includes $62 million toward the construction of the University System of Maryland at Southern Maryland - Third Academic Building located at the airport in Hollywood that our entire Delegation fought hard to keep as a priority.
The Governor also included funding for the following transportation projects in St. Mary’s County:
- $6.6 million to widen MD 5 to Point Lookout State Park in St. Mary’s County;
- $3.4 million for intersection improvements at Abell/Moakley streets in St. Mary’s County
- $3.2 million for MD 5 upgrades from MD 471 to MD 246 in St. Mary’s County
State support for St. Mary’s College of Maryland in FY 2021 totals more than $28 million, thanks in part to the permanent inclusion of the $800,000 DeSousa-Brent Scholars Completion Grant, for which the College recently qualified.
Other capital highlighted items included in the budget are:
- $35 million for a new Auditorium and Academic Building at St. Mary’s College of Maryland;
- $4.4 million for campus infrastructure upgrades at St. Mary’s College of Maryland.
- $11.6 million for three local jail projects in Frederick, Queen Anne’s, and St. Mary’s counties
I will continue to update you as the governor’s budget goes through the legislative process, this year beginning in the Senate.